Re: wheezy Audio Works for Root, Dies for User and it's not Perms.

Getting much closer!

Chris Bannister writes:
> Was the netinst ISO a daily-build? There was some talk of one of the
> daily-build ISO's being faulty, I don't know in which way the fault
> would manifest itself though, and I don't know which one.

It was Daily Build 6 or 7 but read on.

> Have you done an update/upgrade cycle since installing Wheezy?

Numerous times.

> If you are interested in FINDING the cause of the fault then I'd suggest
> not to do that just yet, but if you just want the fault fixed then an
> update/upgrade cycle may fix it BUT you won't know what the culprit was.

There was no change.

> Might help. I'd try another user first though. Also another technique is
> to cut/paste errors into google (easier + quicker)
>
> I think that was a alsa-pulse.conf file where it mentioned errors?
>
> You could temporarily purge pulse to see if that helps. Do a purge, not
> just a remove, cause it looks like some sort of configuration file
> causing the problem. Also remember, a purge does NOT remove any files in
> your home directory, so if there are any pulse files in there they will
> not be removed. (Note: Trying another user FIRST will help here.)

	This was a great help. Here is what I found.

	After purging and restoring pulseaudio and all the
applications that needed it, I started looking at .pulse in my
home directory as I didn't put it there to begin with. I
expected to find it empty and there was the cause of all the
trouble. A listing of that directory is:

43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-card-database.tdb
43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-default-sink
43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-default-source
43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-device-volumes.tdb
43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-runtime
43ec7b6e5a01418f517b363500001654-stream-volumes.tdb

	When all files are present, the trouble happens. If I
remove them, it works. Pulseaudio soon rebuilds all of them and
the trouble returns. I have quickly read the man page for
pulseaudio and for the pulse-daemon.conf file and there is not a
word about these files and how to manage them but I think that
pulseaudio is confused about this sound card and is putting the
wrong tdb file in place.

	That is why I say I am closer but I don't have it fixed
yet as the rebuild occurs within seconds after removing
.pulse/*. If you remove .pulse, pulseaudio kindly puts it back
also and then repopulates it. I want to disable as little as
possible as probably only one of the files is the villain.

Thanks very much for your help as it made me look more closely
at what was there.

Martin