Re: wheezy Audio Works for Root, Dies for User and it's not Perms.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 08:54:09AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> I used the wheezy netinst ISO image to run the install and my
> home directory was created from the installation media and the
> problem was immediately noticed. Since then, I copied my home
> directory from a working system to this new one so as to have
> sound files and other types of files to play with but there are
> no sound configuration files.

Was the netinst ISO a daily-build? There was some talk of one of the
daily-build ISO's being faulty, I don't know in which way the fault
would manifest itself though, and I don't know which one.

Have you done an update/upgrade cycle since installing Wheezy?
If you are interested in FINDING the cause of the fault then I'd suggest
not to do that just yet, but if you just want the fault fixed then an
update/upgrade cycle may fix it BUT you won't know what the culprit was.

> 	When I am home from work, I will check permissions on
> /usr/share and make sure that a user can read the files and post

I wouldn't bother. I think you'd be "barking up the wrong tree".

> the trace leading up to the first error on the bad trace and the
> coresponding part of the good trace.

Might help. I'd try another user first though. Also another technique is
to cut/paste errors into google (easier + quicker)

I think that was a alsa-pulse.conf file where it mentioned errors?

You could temporarily purge pulse to see if that helps. Do a purge, not
just a remove, cause it looks like some sort of configuration file
causing the problem. Also remember, a purge does NOT remove any files in
your home directory, so if there are any pulse files in there they will
not be removed. (Note: Trying another user FIRST will help here.)

Good Luck!

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte