Re: data recovery tools for debian (command line)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 May 2012 10:49:28 +0500
>> Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> if i mistakenly delete any partition or OS or HD corrupted. what is
>>> the best tool that i can use to recover the data in these situations.
>>>

>> de-rescue for corrupted HD. But don't know about recovering deleted data.
>> I'm also interested in the same topic.
>
> testdisk
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/data_recovery_with_testdisk
>
> seems good but haven't tested yet.

First of all, make backups regularly. Make the process automated.

As for the testdisk, I have used it before and it is AWESOME.

The short story is that I screwed up the partition table of my laptop which
resulted in an unbootable system. I used testdisk to restore the partition
table. All the gory details, screenshots and what not are at my blog
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/2010/08/recover-accidentally-
overwritten.html

hope that helps
--