Re: wheezy Audio Works for Root, Dies for User and it's not Perms.

Chris Bannister writes:
> Does it work for another user? Temporarily create one to find out.

Good suggestion.

> Dont like the look of "/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or
> corrupted: consider to remove or fix it"

That looks bad all right until root runs the same command,
accesses the same file and works perfectly.

> Is this a stock, OOTB, setup, or have you altered any personal config
> files?

I used the wheezy netinst ISO image to run the install and my
home directory was created from the installation media and the
problem was immediately noticed. Since then, I copied my home
directory from a working system to this new one so as to have
sound files and other types of files to play with but there are
no sound configuration files.

> >       I ran strace -e trace=open,close,read,write and the good
> > trace wasn't all that much different from the bad trace.
>
> So there were differences?

Yes. The errors are only in the bad trace and there seems to be
a mention of a machine ID or something similar just before the
first error messages are generated.

I compared the output of the good trace with that of the bad one
and the only differences before the errors start are the session
cookies which one would expect to differ and path names for
local pulse configuration files which do not exist either in
root's directory or mine.

	From previous testing, I can report that amixer as run
from root goes right to the sound card and all the settings are
there and sensable. From my account, amixer provokes a spew of
errors that look like the same ones aplay causes to occur.

	When I am home from work, I will check permissions on
/usr/share and make sure that a user can read the files and post
the trace leading up to the first error on the bad trace and the
coresponding part of the good trace.

Thank you.