Re: [not sure if OT] empty DVD menus with k9copy and devede

This post is just for the record to direct those who might have the same
problem to turn to the right mailing-list and to finalize this thread.

http://groups.google.com/group/devede-forum

Thank you so much Camaleón, you are helping the community along so much.

On Friday 11 May 2012 10:14:12 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2012 11:22:08 Camaleón wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:33:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 08 May 2012 12:45:41 Camaleón wrote:
> > (...)

[snip]

> devede 3.21.0 was last updated on Apr 30 - that was AFTER the problem
> already appeared. That means the old version was still installed when the
> problem reared its ugly head. That's why I suspect libraries or
> "helper"-programs.
The problem is with ffmpeg for the DVD-menus.
I found a description of the problem here:

http://groups.google.com/group/devede-
forum/browse_thread/thread/691869c956963703#

> dvdauthor had not been upgraded during this time.
> libxml2, mencoder, libav* (ffmpeg libraries) have been upgraded.
> Downgrading libxml2 does not change the behaviour.

Confirmed: The problem has nothing to do with dvdauthor

Yes but ffmpeg is the culprit. It does not seem so much as a bug but seems
that it has to do with rapidly changing options.

> > > Weird, because dvdauthor has not been updated around that time. (???)
> > > It is still the same version as before the harddisk swap.
> >
> > Well, "dvdauthor" is one of the pieces of the chain but the problem can
> > be located elsehwere (e.g., "deveve" can be generating bad/corrupted
> > projects that render the menus unusuable).
That is true and indeed dvdauthor is not the culprit.

> Yep, but what about k9copy going bad at the same time?
> They both share
> dvdauthor which uses libxml2
> libavcodec53
> libavformat53
> libavutil51
> mencoder
devede can either use mencoder or ffmpeg.
mencoder produces stuttering sound and ffmpeg unusable menus.
Will see about k9copy later. It is set for using mencoder. I'll try ffmpeg now
and see ... [weird!]

> With mencoder and libavcodec, libavformat and the whole ffmpeg caboodle I'm
> running into serious dependency-problems when downgrading. devede complains
> about not finding mencoder when mencoder_1 is force-depends-installed.
> So: no luck.
I gave up on trying to downgrade, rather waiting for a solution in the
upcoming devede. It supports the option to use one encoder for the menus and
another for the videos.
We'll see when the new version hits Sid and eventually trickles down to
Wheezy.
So mentioning the upgrade instead of a downgrade was a good idea, indeed!

> What puzzles me is that I got the problem on two very different boxes
> (hardware-wise) and nobody else seems to have these problems.
Not true, see link above.

So this IS really OT and needs to be taken to the devede mailing-list.
For k9copy there is no list and my tries to contact the developers on another
problem before, were not successful.

So long and thank you for all the fish.
Err, no. I'm not going to abandon this mailing list. I find it to be very
useful, indeed. (This as a sidenote to another discussion.)

[debian-users mailing-list-voice from the off] "I'm not dead!" "Help! I'm
oppressed!"

Cheers,
Eike