Re: Corrupted windows in KDE after last upgrade in debian/testing

On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:46:11 +0200, wzab wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:23:58 +0200, Camaleon wrote: |
> | On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:23:58 +0200, wzab wrote: |
> | > After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
> | > layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in
> the | > screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not
> visible, | > but import complained about "too much input data"). What's
> interesting, | > problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it
> appears only in one | > of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA
> compatible controller: | > Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
> Controller (rev 02)" | >
> | > Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
> Whet | > can be the reason and cure for this problem? |
> | Mmm, it could be something coming from KDE itself and window rendering
> | (kwin). Have you tried to enable desktop effects? Is just for testing
> | purposes, no need to keep them afterwards :-)
>
> Exactly. The problem disappears when I switch off the desktop effects.

Ah! I thought you were running a desktop with effects turned off, but
well, in the end what I wanted you to try is the opposite of your current
setup, so if desktop effects were off, enabling them to check if that
makes any difference (which in your case it turned out to be "disabling"
them).

> It seems, that after this upgrade something happened with desktop
> effects. BTW. My another machine , which uses  "Display controller:
> Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 03)" also started to experience problems: After
> KDE session starts, I get the message (as I it rmember, translated from
> Polish) "Desktop effects are too slow and will be switched off".
>
> Previously both those machines worked good :-(.

Are both systems running Sid? If yes, then I'd consider reporting this.
It could be that the upgrade (coming either from KDE or the VGA driver
itself) "break" something affecting the 3D rendering capabilities in KDE.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón