Re: Wheezy USB Harddrive install grub2 issues

On 05/14/2012 06:24 AM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 13 May 2012 at 13:45:14 -0400, Tom H wrote:

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Indulekha<indulekha@theunworthy.com>  wrote:

Probably want to skip that "--root-directory" option, unless you're
trying to avoid the mbr for some valid reason...
Might want to stick with genuine Debian documentation, too, unless
you're actually running Ubuntu...

In the case of grub, there's absolutely no difference between Ubuntu
and Debian, at least when comparing 10.04 and Squeeze. For 12.04, and
perhaps earlier versions, "--root-directory" has been replaced by
"--boot-directory" (by upstream not by Ubunical)...

Both options are accepted but only --boot-directory (which is thought to
be less confusing) is documented in the manual.

The "--root-directory=/" is superfluous and innocuous because it's the
default. It has nothing to do with the MBR but with the location of
"/boot/grub".

Wouldn't '--root-directory=/' put GRUB's files in /grub?

That was my reading of the man page however there is no /grub directory so either the option doesn't work or it's could be a symptom of a broken grub package.

I tried

apt-get remove --purge grub-pc

then

apt-get install grub-pc

but no luck, back to the grub> prompt, I also tried lilo but I just get the 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99........... error

(LILO)99 invalid second stage index sector

I'll have to strap in another way to switch back to grub2

Are we reaching bug report time?

Thanks for everyone's help.