Re: Wheezy USB Harddrive install grub2 issues

On 05/14/2012 01:45 AM, Tom H wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Indulekha<indulekha@theunworthy.com>  wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 03:13:52PM +0800, Bob wrote:

(hd0)        /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SSeagatePortable
root@USBHDebian:~# grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.

Probably want to skip that "--root-directory" option, unless you're
trying to avoid the mbr for some valid reason...
Might want to stick with genuine Debian documentation, too, unless
you're actually running Ubuntu...

In the case of grub, there's absolutely no difference between Ubuntu
and Debian, at least when comparing 10.04 and Squeeze. For 12.04, and
perhaps earlier versions, "--root-directory" has been replaced by
"--boot-directory" (by upstream not by Ubunical)...

The "--root-directory=/" is superfluous and innocuous because it's the
default. It has nothing to do with the MBR but with the location of
"/boot/grub".

When you install grub, are you installing to the MBR of the USB disk?
Are there any other disks connected when you run "grub-install"?

There are no other non-optical storage devices connected at all, no USB no SATA no IDE & I'll leave it that way until I've fixed this.

grub-install /dev/sda will install to the MBR correct?