Re: Wheezy USB Harddrive install grub2 issues

On Mon 14 May 2012 at 14:57:54 +0800, Bob wrote:

> On 05/14/2012 06:24 AM, Brian wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't '--root-directory=/' put GRUB's files in /grub?
>
> That was my reading of the man page however there is no /grub directory
> so either the option doesn't work or it's could be a symptom of a broken
> grub package.

It's the opposite to your experience here.

   grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda

results in GRUB creating /grub and populating it with its files. In
fact, when installing GRUB to a USB stick without an OS on it I've
always seen it create the directory specified by '--boot-directory'.

I have replicated your problem (GRUB dropping to a prompt) by running
the command above from an unstable installation. I've no explanation
for it apart from some hazy idea GRUB is confused by having its files
in two places, /boot/grub and /grub, but was able to retrieve a GRUB
menu with

   grub-install /dev/sda

[Snip]

> Are we reaching bug report time?