Re: [Feedback needed] Support for ISDN passive fax cards

On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:06:35 +0200, Mirko Parthey wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 05:56:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> I am considering in adding a couple of PCI based Eicon Diva 2.02
>> "passive" cards on a system running hylafax server. The fax server is
>> now using a couple of external RS-232 modems that work like a charm but
>> as I have a pair of unused ISDN cards I'm consider in adding them to
>> the current setup to enhance the installation.
>
> Please ask yourself which aspect of your installation you expect to
> improve by doing this. Fax with passive ISDN cards will be harder to set
> up than with analog modems.

Yes, I do know very well ;-(

We're a long time ISDN users (we've had digital phone lines since ~12
years ago) and know very well the problems they can have, mainly when it
comes to the hardware facilities and faxing.

The fact is that we still maintain a bunch of digital subscriber lines in
the office to which I have connected the analog modems (we do "fax" a lot
here) but I have experienced isolated problems when dialing to another
ISDN lines over an analog line/device, that is, the call (even a
telephone call) cannot be placed and our carrier, of course, does not
know a thing about where the problem can be :-)

The above means that -in such specific cases- faxing from analog modems
fails (eventhough the modems are connected to an ISDN line!) and I think
that faxing over an ISDN device could work.

So as I always like to have several options from where to choose, I
thought in adding the possibility of using this card to provide digital
faxing so I can handle almost any unexpected situation. And in the event
the ISDN card works fine with HylaFAX and has no problem at all, I can
make it the default device to manage the standard input/output fax queue
and keep the external RS-323 modems as a fallback device.

>> But now I see that HiSax has been deprecated in favor of mISDN and I
>> wonder what's the current status of this driver in Debian, what kind of
>> devices are supported and what are your average experience in using
>> ISDN passive cards with Hylafax.
>
> Check out this announcement:
> http://www.isdn4linux.de/pipermail/isdn4linux/2012-January/005580.html
> You need very recent sofware to use it, but this seems to be the way
> forward.

Hmmm, thanks. It was a very recent post (from this same year!) so yes, it
seems that faxing (capi) using the new driver (misdn) is still in a beta
stage. I'll have to consider that.

> You may want to ask on this mailing list yourself. Despite its name, it
> mostly deals with misdn nowadays.
> subscribe to be able to post)

Okay, I will for sure take a look at the mailing list archives to see
what's the status of the project and have a better understanding of the
current supported features.

> The documentation on www.misdn.org is a bit outdated, but may still be
> partially helpful. Look for misdn v2, and ignore misdn v1.
>
> Sorry, I cannot help you with first-hand experience concerning fax
> support.

Thanks for the input :-)

Greetings,

--