Re: multiboot problem in squeeze

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 09:01:21AM -0400, Long Wind wrote:
> On 5/13/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Wow... that's a very old Mandrake release (kernel 2.4.22), and from the
> > above line, it seems that you are not using "chainloading" but directly
> > booting your old Mandrake from GRUB2. If yes, then it can be that you
> > (well, not "you" but the os-prober) missed something at the boot entry,
> > I would try to manually boot Mandrake from GRUB2 command line, test some
> > combos and when you finally get it, edit the corresponding menu file
> > from ("/etc/grub.d/*") accordingly.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > --
> > Camaleón
> >

> Thank Camaleón!
> I have used multiboot in early debian distro
> this time it seems very hard
> I don't know how to "manually boot Mandrake from GRUB2 command line"
>
> Maybe I shall give up

If you still have your Mandrake 9.2 installer disk, you could use it to
boot your installation on the hdd, then run grub-install to install it
on the root partition, rather than on the mbr. Then it's a simple matter
of editing  /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add the chainloader Mandrake entry,
and run update-grub.

If you don't have the Mandrake installer anymore, any good live linux cd
with a 2.4 kernel option should let you chroot in.

--
 Indulekha