Re: multiboot problem in squeeze

On Sun, 13 May 2012 09:01:21 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> On 5/13/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Wow... that's a very old Mandrake release (kernel 2.4.22), and from the
>> above line, it seems that you are not using "chainloading" but directly
>> booting your old Mandrake from GRUB2. If yes, then it can be that you
>> (well, not "you" but the os-prober) missed something at the boot entry,
>> I would try to manually boot Mandrake from GRUB2 command line, test
>> some combos and when you finally get it, edit the corresponding menu
>> file from ("/etc/grub.d/*") accordingly.
>>

> Thank Camaleón!
> I have used multiboot in early debian distro this time it seems very
> hard

You were facing no problems before because the two linux distributions
you had installed were using GRUB legacy. Now you have add a new player
(GRUB2) to the booting game and that's why you may need to tweak the menu
so you can boot Mandrake.

> I don't know how to "manually boot Mandrake from GRUB2 command line"

Neither do I but I (and "you") do know how to search, right? ;-)

Okay, when you are in GRUB2 menu, press the "c" key to reach the command
line mode. From there you can start to speak with GRUB2 and run commands,
for example (this is just for demo purposes with a minimal set of
options, I don't know if it will work for you "as is"):

set root=(hd0,3)
linux (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk
initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img
boot

Remember to press the "Enter" key after every command and (very
important!) watch for the ouput. The goal here is that GRUB2 can find the
Mandrake root partition and boot the kernel image from it.

> Maybe I shall give up

Oh, come on, this is linux, marine. You've been trained to be prepared to
survive these kind of situations (and even worst) :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón