Re: desktop notification gone

On 12.05.2012 13:53, Tom wrote:

> This is on sid. I mostly use Openbox, starting notification- and
> gnome-settings-daemon from .xinitrc. Oddly enough, all applications
> that ought to notify me (I only use three: my music player, Icedove,
> and Transmission) do so exactly one time after their start-up.
>
> When running Gnome everything's fine. I suppose that might mean I
> don't start some daemon I should (which then was probably introduced
> with Gnome 3), but notify-send just works.

To show desktop notification, you need a notification service running.

gnome-shell and KDE have one built-in and there is a standalone daemon
called notification-daemon (which is used in GNOME 2 / GNOME 3 classic).
Do you have a notification-daemon process running? If you start one
manually via /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon do you get
any error messages?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?