desktop notification gone

Hey all,

My desktop has long stopped notifying me of things. I ignored it for
a while, expecting it to fix itself, but it doesn't.

I wasn't/am not quite sure about the relationship between the
notification-daemon and notify-osd packages. The latter seems to be
another implementation of the same freedesktop spec. In any case, I
tried with both, to no avail.

This is on sid. I mostly use Openbox, starting notification- and
gnome-settings-daemon from .xinitrc. Oddly enough, all applications
that ought to notify me (I only use three: my music player, Icedove,
and Transmission) do so exactly one time after their start-up.

When running Gnome everything's fine. I suppose that might mean I
don't start some daemon I should (which then was probably introduced
with Gnome 3), but notify-send just works.

I hope it's no case of PEBKAC, but couldn't find any recent related
bugs, and have no idea of how to go about finding out what's wrong.
Perhaps somebody here could point me in some relevant direction?

Kind regards,
Tom

--
np: Ryoji Ikeda - Space