Re: Swap space not used

Hello Darac,

> If the swap space is available during normal usage, then it's entirely
> possible to have no space to suspend to.

Yes. However, this is rather unlikely when the computer is used as a
desktop/laptop, don’t you think? The only times when I actually used
my swap space was when some program went rampant and decided to
require more memory than available. During normal operation, my swap
space is seldomly used.

> It'd be perfectly reasonable practice to have a separate swap
> file/partition for hibernating to and swapon that before hibernating.

Certainly, but, for example on a SSD, space is still ‘scarce’ and it
makes therefore sense to think whether one has to be able to suspend
at all costs. If this is still necessary, one could also think about
using only one swap space and swapon it before suspend (and swapoff
afterwards).

Best regards,

Claudius
--
"Life is too important to take seriously."
		-- Corky Siegel