Re: Swap space not used

2012-05-02 13:12, Sian Mountbatten skrev:

Your swap partition is, very likely, too large. As a rule, your swap
partition should be the same size as your RAM. Do you have 40GB RAM?

Linux can handle well above 40 GB of swap. I would be surprised if "swap partition too large" was the reason. My swap is larger than that.

I am always a bot surprised by advice like the ones in this thread. I have heard and seen this many times.

I am aware that for web-browsing, and other similar activities, using swap is almost always bad, as it slows the system down.

I typically run programs and scripts without having a good estimate of their future memory usage, and my computer usage is frequently RAM-bound, so I try to guess how much I can do within the memory I have available.

It is not uncommon for me to misjudge the need by a factor of 2 or 3, and in those cases, I have programs being killed left and right unless I have enough swap-space.

I would say that being careful with swap-space is important when one has too small a hard drive, but I have plenty of drives space these days. Not having my jobs killed is more important to me than saving a few tens of GB of extra space.

I have just above 40 GB on my current desktop, and when I had influence over a computer with 64GB RAM, it had quite a bit of swap space.

Mem:     64558M total,    24822M used,    39735M free,      324M buffers
Swap:   184323M total,       25M used,   184298M free,    24238M cached

Regards

Johan