Re: SOLVED Re: genisoimage and burning the iso created.

Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/04/2012, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 02:13:37 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>
>>> i have just created an iso of some of my music collection so that i can
>>> play them off the DVD, delete them off the hard drive and free up more
>>> space for new music, that’s the plan anyhow.
>>>
>>> The command i used was ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
>>> /home/boztu/Music/Irish\ Celtic\ Music\ Collection\ Version\ 2/ ........
>>> and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>>>
>>> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD from
>>> one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>>>
>>> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done from
>>> the command line please?
>>
>> I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
>> "split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and
>> "cat" (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.
>>
>> Greeting
>>
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the  image is burnt using k3b.

As others have pointed out, your issue is not likely solved by using
split to create pieces of the original iso -- you need complete iso
images sized to fit your media, otherwise you have to copy the contents
of all the disks to your hard drive and reassemble the original image
before any of it becomes usable.

I was just reading somewhere about a package called datapacker, which
might do the trick. I've never tested it though. If you try it, please
let us know if it worked for you. And please confirm by using the disks
you burned first. Burning is really only part of the solution. :)
http://software.complete.org/datapacker

HTH!
--
 Indulekha