Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up

Am Dienstag, 24. April 2012 schrieb Ellwood Blues:
> 2012/4/21 Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk>:
> > I am going to buy a big USB hard drive to backup films, music and
> > photos. In fact, I might backup the system (at least, the list of
> > packages installed).
> >
> > Anybody out there tried a 2TB USB hard drive? What did you use as
> > filing system. I am intending to use ext4. Any comments?
>
> If you want to be happy and trouble-free, try to avoid «Advanced
> Format» disks. I have 2TB disks and 1.5TB too that work perfectly but
> I've made the mistake to buy a 3TB WD Caviar Green («Advanced Format»)
> which I can only use on Windows as a 3TB disk, Linux only detects
> about 780MB if I remember well. Try to not make the same mistake.

Hmmm, I´d avoid those with 4 KB hardware sectors that lie to the OS they
have 512 byte sectors. Although I think even those should work. But with
512 byte sectors you have a 2 TB limit when you use MBR partitioning.

3 TB disks with 4 KB sectors both hardware (physical) and software
(logical) should just work, provided the Linux is new enough.

On Squeeze use -cu as additional options (see manpage).