Re: changing window managers in debian 6.0.4

Thanks Rob, Wayne, and Indulekha for your help (and thanks
again Johan and Camaleón for your earlier help).

Rob, thanks for pointing out where the window manager
selection was on the screen (in my case, at the bottom,
and as you said, only visible after the user account is
selected).

That actually worked and i'm using wmaker (WindowMaker)
now.

Wayne --- i thought that i would have to dump gnome
as you indicated.  Maybe i've done it partially?  I only have a very
hazy feel for what is running or not---some components
of the gnome system are running though, according to
   ps aux | grep gnome

(gdm-simple-slave, polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1, gnome-terminal,
and gnome-pty-helper).

Indulekha --- if you would care to answer --- what is the software that
wmaker does not interact well with?

I'm a complete neophyte here (new to debian and new to wmaker) so
would appreciate any information about it.  (The reason i'm trying out
wmaker is that i think it should be most compatible with gnustep,
but that's another long story.)

Thanks again everybody for all the info and suggestions.

dan