Re: NEWBIE sanity check re gnome-ppp PLEASE

Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:46:22 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread test
procedures ;/

What am I using - I'm not sure:
    1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
identified it as
       DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop

You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
know it comes from a trusted source?

<chuckle> My phrasing was poor - posted way past my bedtime.
What I meant was I was unsure of the version number. It IS 6.0.3. It was downloaded from a link given on debian.org (don't recall which mirror) Today I compared the MD5 of the ISO to that given on http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/i386/iso-hybrid/ . It checked OK.

    2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed

What did you do or how did you run it?

At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu (Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp). Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile expanded it saying "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
for Wvdial.

I had used "System->Administration->Software Center" to install a dialer.
gnome-ppp was the only option offered - so I loaded it.

    3. I then did
    man gnome-ppp

The man page is very brief because the goal of gnome-ppp is very simple:
create a working file for wvdial, no more no less.

    4. It said there was an option for
            gnome-ppp --version
    4A. it yielded NO version information, but brought up
attempt to dial
        screen which failed if not super user

What was the exact output you got?

root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp --version

(gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
root@debianowl:/home/richard#

Got the same response whether or not as root.

How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?

I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
should come up a wizard.

I tried that. That was first hint something was wrong ;<

Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting
"richard@debianowl:~$ gnome-ppp

(gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
WVCONF: /home/richard/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
"

Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting
"root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp

(gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATZ
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT999-9999
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT999-9999
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Tue Apr 24 19:58:54 2012
root@debianowl:/home/richard#
"

Notice that when *NOT* asking for version, it's available.

How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?

I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".

Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer ;-)
(I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).

I disagree with that philosophy. I may not end up using gnome-ppp. But ignoring a problem does not solve it. There *IS* a bug. It may be in the _operator_ ;/

After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.

Mmm... whaaat?!

Not on technical grounds.
Just on some very strong idiosyncratic personal preferences.

Once you're connected to the Internet, you open Synapctic and select
Seamonkey (here renamed to "Iceape" for the suite or "iceape-browser" for
the browser+composer) to download.

And what happens with Iceweasel? :-?

NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/

Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here>:-P

BOTH? I did say I wrote the original post past my bedtime ;)
Thank you for your time.

Greetings,