Re: NEWBIE sanity check re gnome-ppp PLEASE

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:46:22 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread test
> procedures ;/
>
> What am I using - I'm not sure:
>    1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
> identified it as
>       DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop

You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
know it comes from a trusted source?

>    2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed

What did you do or how did you run it? gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
for Wvdial.

>    3. I then did
>    man gnome-ppp

The man page is very brief because the goal of gnome-ppp is very simple:
create a working file for wvdial, no more no less.

>    4. It said there was an option for
>            gnome-ppp --version
>    4A. it yielded NO version information, but brought up
> attempt to dial
>        screen which failed if not super user

What was the exact output you got?

> How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?

I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
should come up a wizard.

> How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?

I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".

Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer ;-)
(I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).

> After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
> SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
> SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.

Mmm... whaaat?!

Once you're connected to the Internet, you open Synapctic and select
Seamonkey (here renamed to "Iceape" for the suite or "iceape-browser" for
the browser+composer) to download.

And what happens with Iceweasel? :-?

> NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/

Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here >:-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón