Re: X problem (?) after fresh install on old laptop

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:56:25 -0700, Potato Jim wrote:

Potato Jim, please adjust your MUA to don't posting on the top, get right
quoting (you forced me to delete the full message reference because it
was poorly formatted ;-( ) and there's no need to send me a copy of the
message, I read the list.

> Thank you Camaleón,
>
> The suggestions on that page about blacklisting nouveau to disable KMS
> did not work.

What exactly did you try and what exactly did you get? Precision does
matter.

> However, I noticed that if I comment out the "blacklist nvidiafb" line
> from /etc/modeprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf,  X/Gnome does sort of work
> again.  I can see the contents of windows, but now the entire screen is
> a little wavy and shimmery (for lack of a better description).

You mean that blacklisting "nvidiafb" (nvidia framebuffer driver) helps?

> Does this help identify my problem?  Is there any command or log file
> output I can provide, or any other information?

Xorg log can be of help, yes. It is located in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", you
can upload the whole file to "www.pastebin.com" so we can review it.

As you're in Squeeze, there's a set of VGA drivers you can use:

- Nouveau
- NV
- Nvidia legacy

But I'd like to see first the Xorg log :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón