Re: X problem (?) after fresh install on old laptop

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:43:03 -0700, Potato Jim wrote:

> Hi Everyone,

Hi, please, turn off html when posting to the mailing list. Thanks :-)

> I installed Deb 6.0.4 on an old Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop and everything
> seemed to go well, except...  I'll try to describe a problem I'm
> experiencing, evidently with X:  The windows are all blank.  Even at the
> login screen, I can't see the "username,other" selection list -- just a
> blank rectangle for the login window.  The Debian starry desktop
> background picture does show up however.  When I wave the mousepointer
> over the login window, it selectively shows -some- of the contents,
> enough that I can see to select my username, type my password and log
> in.

(...)

Are you using a nvidia VGA card? If so, you can first try to disable KMS
and see how it goes. Instructions can be found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#Disabling_KMS

Greetings,

--
Camaleón