error: invalid arch independent elf magic

hi all - i am in big trouble and really need good help.

Something happened to my raid5 array on an ibm x3650 with raid-8k controller.
I am running debian squeeze with grub --- nothing fancy - all my files
are on the root filesystem.

The array was not being recognized by the bios.
So i tried to do a revive - the raid array was rivived and came up
with a status of okay.
I have the grub loader booting now but get the following error:

error: invalid arch independent elf magic

I tried googling it...I am very nervous about what I found to get me
out of this mess.
So i wanted to ask anyone out there --- how do i get out of it..please help.

thanks
mjh