Re: difficult to isolate problem - browser access to router has problems on on machine but not other

Stan Hoeppner wrote, on 16/04/12 05:27:
On 4/14/2012 11:00 PM, Arthur Marsh wrote:
The AMD64 machine has recently taken to stalling after entering the
username and password for the adsl router's browser interface, and I've
tried downgrading recent package upgrades, and different kernels and
browsers without success.
Read the docs and everything you find online for that make/model of ADSL
router.  What you're looking for specifically is whether it is designed
to use an "admin PC".  Some of these consumer routers force you to enter
an IP address of only one machine that can log into the admin interface.
  Others simply store a cookie on the first machine you log in with then
deny access from any machine without that cookie.  There are probably
other variations on this theme as well.

Given what you describe, I'd be 99% sure something like this is what
you're up against.  Clear the cookies cache on both machines, then try
the "problem machine" first.  In addition to reading all docs you can find.

Interesting suggestion, but given that the AMD64 machine can still access the router's web interface without problem when booted from sysrescuecd, I'm not sure that this is the case.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Arthur.