Re: Authentication issues trying to log onto a box as a standard user, and cron jobs...

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 15:20, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Good.  Can you log in as the non-root user?

No, all users on this box are from NIS.

> Yes.  Stop all other lines of debugging and focus on this issue.  Why
> is there an error there?  Can you log in as that user?
>
>  laltest@lal-squeeze:~$ su -l laltest

No, as this account is a special account without a password. We can
only log into this account using a shared ssh key.

> If not then why not?  Start debugging there.
>
>> Also I have a cron job scheduled, via crontab, to run at 21:01
>> everyday. It fails to run and the only reference to this I can find in
>> the logs is the following:
>> Apr  8 21:01:01 lal-squeeze CRON[14107]: Authentication failure
>> So I imagine that this is a different manifestation of the same problem.
>
> Everything points to the same problem.  Debug it first.
>
>> Any recommendations on how to debug this issue?
>
> Look in /var/log/syslog for messages.  Look in /var/log/auth.log for
> messages.

I can't see anything in the logs around the time that I try and
connect to the box.

Cheers

Adam