Re: skype?

On 09/04/12 12:08, Brian wrote:
On Mon 09 Apr 2012 at 10:09:59 +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

On 09/04/12 08:22, Scott Ferguson wrote:
SIP will currently work with the Skype network - if being able to
communicate is your only requirement.

This is interesting. Do you mean I could install SIP, and communicate
with my wedded to skype contacts? Voice, video, text?
You don't really install SIP you use a SIP client (Ekiga or Linphone,
for example) to communicate with a gateway running the Skype client. The
gateway manipulates the Skype client using the SIP messages you send and
can be on your own machine or somebody else's machine. The first will
cost you time and effort; the second will probably cost money. The
gateway will provide voice but maybe not video.

Either way you cannot avoid running the Skype client, or its equivalent,
somewhere. If it is local you may as well use it (have you managed to
set it up yet?) to talk with your friends.

Its been a while now since I played with it, but I have a recollection that Freeswitch (which is a bit like Asterisk) has a skype connector.

[Its a long story, but I sent up a system so my daughters to communicate with me. I have (or rather they now have - gathering dust) some linksys boxes that could take a standard phone and turn it into a sip phone. I had Freeswitch running on my home server (which is a server for everything - freeswitch hardly added to the load) and they could phone in (even though they were behind a NAT box). Unfortunately the convenience of the mobile phone meant they never really used it]

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk