Re: skype?

* Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> [120409 00:33]:
> On Sun 08 Apr 2012 at 17:53:02 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> > * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:

> To be an exact replacement which will work on the Skype network in the
> same way as the Skype client? Can't be done.
> > Ideally, it should be sufficiently similar and simple, so that I could
> > persuade the other guy (who almost invariably is running $kype on a
> > Window$ box) to install Ekiga.
> She's happy with what she has got. Why feel impelled to alter that?

I wish specifically to avoid the use of $kype channels.  If possible,
I wish to converse directly and one-on-one with the other Ekiga user.

I am concerned with the "big brother" privacy, recording, and
non-exclusive license issues (an example being the license of
photo-sharing hosts to market photos which clients upload for sharing
with friends and family).

So, I am thinking that Ekiga is sufficiently similar to $kype that it
ought be possible for a non-technical Window$ user who managed to get
$kype installed and configured to likewise install and configure Ekiga
-- if he likewise values privacy in his communications with me.

This is no different than saying, "Instead of continuing to meet at
$tarbuck$, let's start meeting around the corner and down the street,
at the Java Hut, which is much more private."

Let him use $kype to talk to the rest of the world; but when he wishes
to talk with me, he can fire up Ekiga (or whatever), rather than
$kype.  Of course, I realize that relatively few are willing to
accommodate me, unless the installation and setup is very simple.

RLH