Re: skype?

On 09/04/12 00:20, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Has anyone here managed to get skype working reliably under Squeeze? I
> have 2.2.0.35-1 for AMD64, but I'm encountering many problems;
> intermittent sound, no video, system crashes.
>
> Google doesn't provide much enlightenment, has anyone got any tips, please?

Sure - works fine for me, video meetings, shared desktops, call
recording, and usually have two client (different accounts) open at the
same time. I use PulseAudio and Skype 2.2.0.25-1 Beta (didn't know there
was a later version). Port 53305 is opened on the firewall but it
shouldn't make much difference if you've closed it.
SkypCallRecord, Skyessential, Skype4Py and Amarok extensions installed.
Also the python-skype is installed.

Never had a crash. I know a lot of people with the same experience -
though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.

Anything in dmesg or syslog?
In Skype Options, Advanced - tick "Display technical information" and
then put the mouse over the callers avatar when in a call for jitter and
other info.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-