Re: skype?

On 11/04/12 11:04, Christian wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:03:28 -0500, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

>> Note also that Skype is encrypted, but Skype has a history of handing
>> out the private key.
>
> The term "handing out" makes me curious. Who exactly are they handing it
> out to?

Law enforcement - duly warranted I "assume".
Italian law enforcement that I'm aware of.

> Personally I am presented with a few requirements from my employer to be
> able to use Linux as my work OS.

Glad you have a good employer - sound like a company worth working for.
The only employer I had who allowed GNU/Linux was Telstra - and they had
a long list of build and deployment rules, most of which were default in
Debian.

> One is MS Word the other is Skype, with
> or without key handed out.

I have similar requirements from some clients - the "need" for MS Office
has always been met by OpenOffice.org, with the exception of one client
(who prefers I use their own VOIP product) - Skype's security satisfies
the requirements of clients that do specify a VOIP product. I'm not
currently concerned about government or law enforcement monitoring my
communications, but I take heed of Chile's experience with Alan Bond.

Business espionage would be a greater concern to me than Big Brother -
not that I have any involvement in NBN tenders, and Defence related
business usually has ONA and DSD guidelines about means of communication
(which don't affect me, currently and I'm not in a position to comment on).

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-