Re: nepomuk, tracker - why such CPU and memory hungry beasts are installed automatically?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:17:44 +0200, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:

> A few months ago, my 4-core Dell Vostro 3750 running debian/testing
> started to be awfully slow. I discovered, that this is caused by
> "nepomuk-services" in KDE and spent some time to disable them for all
> users (as there was no option to disable it globally and deinstallation
> was also not possible due to package dependencies).

You can disable indexing but AFAIK, Kmail does indeed need Nepomuk to be
on the system.

> Now my machine again started to be very slow. Looking for processes
> consuming the CPU power I've found "tracker-store". Checking the
> description of the "tracker" package, I've found, that this is something
> like "nepomuk-services", installed automatically due to dependencies
> gnome->gnome documents->tracker .

Tracker is the indexer service for the GNOME desktop. You can also
disable it.

> OK. I've deinstalled it (which caused deinstallation of gnome).

What? That cannot be possible, sir. You can have GNOME with no tracker
daemon, though some of its libs are needed.

> However it is really annoying that such CPU, memory and disk hungry
> utilities are installed automatically. For example my home directory
> uses 210GB on disk. The ~/.cache/tracker directory consumed 2.9GB !!!

They're usually installed because of package dependencies, mainly coming
from the "recommended" or "suggested" tags, but you are not "obligued" to
them, you can choose:

1/ To not install them
2/ Get them installed but disabled
3/ Get the installed and tweaked to be disk space and CPU "resource wise".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón