Re: When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 05:21:01PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 06 April 2012 17:02:05 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Ummm, well, obviously if you have backports in your sources list you are
> > no longer running stable.
>
> It depends on the pinning.  I have it in my sources.list, but I have to ask
> for it expressly for a particular package.  I don't feel that one or two
> backported packages immediately means that the system is not stable/Stable.
> What about the multimedia repository?  Opera?  etc.  Obviously anything that
> comes out of any repository other than main is not true-blue-pucka Stable.
> But in the real world one sometimes has to compromise, and I would still feel
> able to claim that my Stable box is just that, Stable.

You seem to be confusing the meaning of stable in the distribution
sense.  It doesn't mean "free of bugs" or "unlikely to crash", it means
unchanging/not moving. So by having backports you are changing that.

Likewise, unstable doesn't mean "buggy" or "likely to crash", it means
"constantly changing".

Perhaps better names would have been unpredictable/testing/predictable?

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte