Re: When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

On Friday 06 April 2012 17:02:05 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 06:29:19PM +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> > 2. Add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences.d/backports (or
> > /etc/apt/preferences) :
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
> > Pin-Priority: 500
> >
> > WARNING TO STEP TWO: This will make all packages from backports have
> > same priority as packages from main repositories, so ALL packages will
> > be installed from backports if they are newer than the ones at main
> > repositories. If you are using Squeeze for stability, you might not
> > want this.
>
> Ummm, well, obviously if you have backports in your sources list you are
> no longer running stable.

It depends on the pinning.  I have it in my sources.list, but I have to ask
for it expressly for a particular package.  I don't feel that one or two
backported packages immediately means that the system is not stable/Stable.
What about the multimedia repository?  Opera?  etc.  Obviously anything that
comes out of any repository other than main is not true-blue-pucka Stable.
But in the real world one sometimes has to compromise, and I would still feel
able to claim that my Stable box is just that, Stable.

Lisi