Re: debian-faq (was ... Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude)

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 12:35:00AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 04 apr 12, 02:01:41, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > For a start it is possibly all just hot air unless it is discussed on
> > the debian-doc list and/or a patch submitted against the debian-faq
> > package. I know that you are involved in translations and hence have
> > some influence/knowledge so I suggest:
>
> I already offered to send a patch :)
>
> > Note: Starting with Squeeze, apt-get now installs recommended packages
> > by default and is the preferred program to perform system installation
> > and major system upgrades. Aptitude may be preferred for interactive
> > package management.
>
> I like the simplicity of it, but it's not correct as it is now (apt-get
> installs recommends since lenny). Let me try to rephrase it:

OK.

>     Note that apt-get installs recommended packages by default since
>     Lenny and starting with Squeeze is the preferred program to perform
>     system installation and major system upgrades. Aptitude may be
>     preferred for interactive package management.

Is the point of "installing recommended packages by default" related
to apt-get being the preferred program for "major system upgrades". That
is, do they need to be in the same paragraph?

AIUI, no one knows *yet* whether aptitude or apt-get will be preferred
for Wheezy until the usual testing takes place near the time of actual
release.

So:

Note: Starting with Lenny, apt-get has installed recommended packages by
default. For Squeeze it is the preferred program to perform system
installation and major system upgrades. Aptitude may be preferred for
interactive package management.

Is it *really* an FAQ?

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte