Re: NAS box configuration

On 04/04/12 20:13, Rares Aioanei wrote:

> Bear in mind that, if you care about this, FreeNAS is BSD-based, just as
> Nexenta is OpenSolaris-based. One difference might be that the latter
> two support ZFS, while Linux support for this is less mature as of now.

I have multiple feelings about this.

Firstly, I'd describe 'less mature' as an understatement ☺

If one wanted to use ZFS and Debian in production, they can use
Debian/KFreeBSD, possibly as a VM running on top of Debian GNU/Linux.

I'd certainly think it was worth seriously thinking whether ZFS was a
real hard requirement, though. Especially for home NAS purposes. In an
environment where ZFS fits naturally, such as FreeBSD, then it's a
no-brainer over e.g. UFS; but when you have to work to support it (e.g.
under Debian GNU/Linux) you should really ask whether it's worth the
effort and risk.