Re: NAS box configuration

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:28:56 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:

> I have one old PC with intel core2duo with 128 MB RAM. As the
> motherboard has 2 sata cables, I can add two 2TB HDD in this box to make
> a NAS box. What I'm missing is a good online doc to configure debian for
> the NAS. One option is freeNAS. I have no idea which one will be better.
> Could anyone suggest the better among freeNAs and debian alongwith a
> good doc which needed to be followed ?

If you have no specific requirements for the OS that will control the NAS
I would just perform a small Debian installation with no GUI or lite DE
and configure to act as a NAS server or whatever you need because this
will be the more flexible solution.

If you still prefer a pre-made NAS based OS (that handles RAID, et al)
you can consider another alternatives to FreeNAS such as OpenMediaVault,
Openfiler, Zentyal, Nexenta...

Related docs/faqs/how tos can be found on their sites :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón