Re: backup: automount and launch an script

On 02/04/12 17:04, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:14:11 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:

Im planning to have an external usb disk that i can plug to all my
computers, and without interaction, sync all data i want with the disks.
Also, umount at the end and send me and email with the details of the
backup attempt.

The only part im not sure is how to automount the disk and launch the
script

I bet you can use/write an udev rule to launch a script/program to be run
when the automounter detects the device insertion.

nice, udev rules is certainly what i was looking for :)

also, if you know of some tool that is already able to perform all these
tasks, it would save me some troble :)

Rsync? Unison? Self-made script?

I was thinking about using rsync. Does unison have any advantage in 1 to 1 syncs like the one i want to do?

My idea is to have a external usb disk to avoid crashing/get lose related with the machines that hold the data, but maybe is easier (and as safe) if i just connect the disk (external or internally) to one of the machines and issue rsyncs from there... via network. I accept advice about this from people with experience regarding backups

One of my concerns is if there is a way to detect that the same file just moved. I mean, if i move a file to another folder, the rsync is going to just erase it and move it from source again (AFAIK). Anyway to avoid this pitfall?

There are also package divertions aimed to be used for backup/syncing
purposes that may include what you want out-of-the-box.

package divertions? what do you mean? any that come to mind?

Also im thinking about encrypt the backup disk if is going to be around and somebody can just steal it... any recomendations for this? (i never used encrypted file systems coz im afraid if something is corrupted, is going to be harder to recover)

Greetings,

thanks!

greets!
aL