Re: Upgrade to wheezy possible?

On 28 March 2012 23:29, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mi, 28 mar 12, 22:49:00, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
>> available in my /usr partition please?
>
> There's not enough info to tell. For a (very) slim system it would be
> more than enough[1], but depending on what applications you have (and
> want to keep) installed it might not be sufficient.

I use Gnome and some portions of KDE [kmail, knode, etc], kmymoney,
and libreoffice [from source].

> [1] I have a system with LXDE, XBMC and a few other things occupying
> only 1.3 GB in total.
>
> During the upgrade a significant amount of space is required under /var
> (specifically /var/cache/apt/ ), but if /var is also small there are
> several options available.

/var is 3.6gb free and is a separate partition.

> What can cause problems in your situation is the size increase of the
> applications from one version to another. One approach would be to use
> dpigs (package debian-goodies) and then check the difference in
> Installed-Size of the bigger packages. A possible solution would be to
> consider slimmer alternatives for some of them.

dpigs? So I install 'dpigs' under squeeze and then see what the size
is under wheezy? Is that right?

>> Or do I need to repartition and reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to
>> wheezy?
>
> It's also possible to install wheezy directly, without going through
> squeeze.

I've got squeeze operating now, so a direct install of wheezy isn't possible.

> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Thanks Andrei, food for thought there.

Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.0