Re: Upgrade to wheezy possible?

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 22:49:00, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Is it possible to upgrade to wheezy from squeeze with only 670.9mb
> available in my /usr partition please?

There's not enough info to tell. For a (very) slim system it would be
more than enough[1], but depending on what applications you have (and
want to keep) installed it might not be sufficient.

[1] I have a system with LXDE, XBMC and a few other things occupying
only 1.3 GB in total.

During the upgrade a significant amount of space is required under /var
(specifically /var/cache/apt/ ), but if /var is also small there are
several options available.

What can cause problems in your situation is the size increase of the
applications from one version to another. One approach would be to use
dpigs (package debian-goodies) and then check the difference in
Installed-Size of the bigger packages. A possible solution would be to
consider slimmer alternatives for some of them.

> Or do I need to repartition and reinstall squeeze and then upgrade to
> wheezy?

It's also possible to install wheezy directly, without going through
squeeze.

Hope this helps,
Andrei