update-alternatives vs. dpkg-divert [was: Re: rt kernel and nouveau]

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 11:08:13, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Ma, 27 mar 12, 16:45:39, Tom H wrote:

> >> Why can't you do the same with grub2?
> >
> > Not implemented. I remember some discussion about it (probably in
> > upstream BTS, for Debian I can only find #601940), but apparently
> > nothing came out of it.
>
> Do you mean this?

No, I was talking about

> (I don't know enough about u-a to understand why
> "--force" is needed...)

It's because you're using the wrong tool for this job ;)

Alternatives are used when more files can provide the same functionality
(e.g you can choose if the symlink /usr/bin/editor points to
/usr/bin/nano or /usr/bin/vim). The output of 'ls -l /etc/alternatives'
might be interesting for you.

By "locally diverting" Sven meant using dpkg-divert(8) which is the
correct tool for what he ended up doing.

Kind regards,
Andrei