Re: Ext2 bit rot

On 3/26/2012 12:29 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Please address my OT question in my OT branch of this
> "increase-ramfs-howto" discussion.
>
> How do I turn off ramfs on a wheezy installation on which it is
> already there? Preferably without doing a reboot? I am sure ramfs is
> doing me no good, but I want to avoid creating new problems by
> removing it in a clumsy way.

Start a new thread for this issue.  I dunno how to perma-disable tmpfs
mounted on /tmp.  I don't have the time right now.  Figuring that out is
the time consuming part.  Once you have that done, you simply create
/tmp in your root filesystem with appropriate permissions.

drwxrwxrwt   4 root root

> IMHO, ext3 was introduced in order to correct some bit rot problems in
> ext2, as well as to introduce journaling, as such it is not surprising
> that it shares a lot of code with ext2. The intention was, I think, to
> leave behind the parts of the code that rotted the bits, while
> introducing a major new feature. I can imagine that in certain
> restricted applications ext2 never executes the part of its code that
> rots bits, and as a consequence Stan has never had problems with it.

Don't use slang jargon if you're not familiar with it. ;)  Read up on
"bit rot" and "software rot" so you understand what the OP was referring
to when he used the term "bit rot".  He simply meant that programmers
may no longer be taking proper care in making sure the EXT2 code is
maintained to work properly in newer kernels.  I disagree with his
assertion here, but I can foresee a day in the future where his
sentiments of today may prove correct.

> But I have never had problems with ext3, and all my disks are
> formatted in ext3, so I incline toward a path that is the least change
> from my present situation. I labeled my post in a way that I hoped
> would make it clear that I did not want to engage in the larger (more
> interesting???) question of ramfs, in general, and particularly XFS,
> which I view as a possible alternative to ext4, to which I have not
> yet seen fit to migrate.

For you Paul, there is no compelling reason to switch from EXT3 to
anything else.  Not at this time.

> So how do I turn off ramfs on a wheezy box where it was installed as
> part of the initial net-inst install, and seems to be involved it
> the proper functioning of the file system root ( / ) ???

You don't "turn off" tmpfs as it's used by other system functions.  You
simply want to mount /tmp on a different (real) filesystem.  As I
mentioned above, try unmounting /tmp and then creating a /tmp with the
permissions I mentioned above.  Then search for the answer to disabling
the system level mount of /tmp on tmpfs.

--
Stan