Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp ... OT question

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I'm sure some/many of you will gasp at that fact I still use EXT2.  If
> > it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.  The /boot and root filesystems are on
> > EXT2, with all data storage on XFS.  Never had problems with EXT2 in
> > this setup, so it lives on, for now.

You are, of course, aware of the term "bit rot"?

ext2 is mostly unused nowadays, and it gets little attention and testing.
It depends heavily on the VFS layer pagecache, and other areas of the kernel
to work well.  But THOSE areas are not staying put.  So, ext2 *will* bit
rot.

> I'm convinced by your argument, but I'm not ready to switch to XFS and
> ext2. My root partition is ext3 and contains plenty of space (~50GB)

I advise you to not switch anything to ext2.  XFS is fine, it is actively
developed, regression-tested, and heavily used everywhere.  ext2 is not
(anymore).

  Henrique Holschuh