Re: How to monitor the internet bandwidth eater ?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:35:03 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:24:29 +0200
Michel Blankleder <michel.blankleder@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM, fthyes <frank@dead-link.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 10:47 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
>
>> This is an office environment where client's PC are connected with a hub and that >> hub is connected with the gateway debian box. How can I monitor the bandwidth at >> the gateway server to check which sites are eating maximum bandwidth. I have used >> iftop / ntop etc..... but still unable to get the proper report i.e. when I visit >> youtube or do a torrent download from my own client box; I can't see the presence >> of those connection through iftop / ntop. Could anyone suggest a proper tool
>> for this ? Or am I missing the right technique needed for
>> iftop etc  ?
>
> iptraf is a nice tool if you don't need to collect data.
>
> Frank
>

> --

I think something like bandwithd is what you want
http://bandwidthd.sourceforge.net/

Michel

Well... the objective has some more depth :-)

I like to know the bandwidth eater as well as to know the LAN IP
which request that site.
Say youtube or torrent download is eating the bandwidth and I like to
know the IP which is
taking so much bandwidth by using those services. I have got some
hope through iftop but still
not upto the level of my requirement.  jnettop and iptraf are also
there but not that much
helpful like iftop.

So any suggestion in that direction is very much helpful.

Thanks

Hi !

You should see interesting things with Ntop. If not, perhaps your client don't really go through your gateway ?

Concerning Web traffic, if you really want to see URL usage, you should use a proxy server and a log analyser.
I use squid + lightsquid and I'm quite happy with them.
Of course, you need to configure the clients, or use it as a transparent proxy...