Best way to migrate disks

I have an old 40GB disk and a recently purchased 1TB disk. The new disk has been partitioned into a 2GB swap partition, two 500MB partitions that are currently empty and the remainder is an LVM2 PV which I have added to my VG, so I now have plenty of space. So far, so good.

My problem is that I am still booting off of the 40GB disk and my / partition has pretty much run out of space (it is about 280MB). I want to migrate everything from there into one of the 500MB partitions on the new drive and boot from there. What is the best way to do this? Any suggestions?

Marc