Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:01:38AM +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I wanted to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, and as I saw in several places
> that aptitude should be preferred to apt-get,  I first tried with it.
> I started with only 1 line in sources.list:
>     deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> and tried several times  "aptitude safe-upgrade"
> Each time, aptitude stayed indefinitely on "resolving dependencies" and did
> nothing else.
> I then issued: "apt-get dist-upgrade", and all worked perfectly, in less
> than 30 minutes.

So your experience is that apt-get is better for such case :-)

The release note "4.4.6. Upgrading the system" has:
 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-full
 The upgrade process for other releases recommended the use of aptitude
 for the upgrade. This tool is not recommended for upgrades from lenny to
 squeeze.

> My question: is it better to also revert to apt-get for package management,
> or is the problem specific to the upgrade to a new release?
That was the consensus among DDs when releasing squeeze :-)

The rational for this is experience such as yours.

"Almost same" is not exactly "the same" between apt-get/aptitude.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

Maybe, I should put more warning since aptitude dependency behaviour
seems to be changing a bitfor command line.

Osamu