Re: USB Drive

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 05:08:55 -0700, Charles Chambers wrote:

> I've just installed Debian 5.0 on an old computer, and I'm having
> problems getting a backup USB drive to automount.
>
> I have a mount point set up at /media/usb, and I set it to be world
> readable (drwxrwxrwx).

It is better not using "/media" for static mount points. Anyway, if you
have a DE that handles automount for you, it will automatically put the
drive under "/media/label".

> I plug in the drive (it normalLy reads no prblem under Windows7), and I
> get an error message to the effect that a mount option is invalid.

Show us the "dmesg" output once you have attached the USB disk.

> I explicitly mount it ("mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb" in a root terminal),
> and the permissions promptly go to read only for root and nothing for
> anyone else (dr-x------) .

(...)

Is the USB disk defined somewhere in /etc/fstab?

If no, when you do a manual mount you also have to pass the permissions
("mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -o uid=,gid,=..." whatever) for the partition to
be mounted properly based on your own preferences which are dependant on
the filesystm you're using on the unit (etx3/4 or ntfs/fat).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón