USB Drive

I've just installed Debian 5.0 on an old computer, and I'm having
problems getting a backup USB drive to automount.

I have a mount point set up at /media/usb, and I set it to be world
readable (drwxrwxrwx).

I plug in the drive (it normalLy reads no prblem under Windows7), and I
get an error message to the effect that a mount option is invalid.

I explicitly mount it ("mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb" in a root terminal),
and the permissions promptly go to read only for root and nothing for
anyone else (dr-x------) .  I ASLO get an error message that I do not
hvae the permissions to read the files on the drive at user level.

Can anyone suggest an  solution?