Re: Apt-pinning confusion

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:14:47 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:55:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>>> What do you think it would be better to completely go with testing.
>>
>> Testing is currently quite stable but there are significant differences
>> between wheezy and squeeze, like the gnome environment.
>
> I think this won't make any difference for me because I will only use
> the base system with xorg and xbmc without any window manager.

Oh, that will make things easier (in the event you want to go with
testing) :-)

>> I'm not going to make any comments about pinning because I've never
>> used but just a question: have you considered in using pinning only for
>> the packages you want to be kept for a specific flavour? That is, being
>> more "selective" to avoid additional problems or messing up too many
>> packages.
>
> This sounds good.
> I thought I can do that by installing via "apt-get -t wheezy
> alsa-utils".

Yes, if you manually specify in that way it's even safer.

(...)

> Unfortunately I don't have synaptic. I only have the terminal since I
> don't want to use any window manager for xbmc.

Aptitude can be a good "replacement" for Synaptic.

> I can't as well install build-essential. There are many dependencies
> which usually are solved automatically. I think this is something that
> shouldn't be. When I want to install build- essential it asks for
> libc6-dev which depends on libc but a newer version is to be installed:
>
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FCBUeaVg

$ sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install build-essential

> It seems as if I made a mess because there already is a libc6 package
> from testing installed.

Mmm, I can't see such that package available for the backports :-?

>> Your first plan seems good, it may just need to be polished a bit :-)
>
> Ok, thanks.
> I will try to again maybe with a clean install again. Like that the mess
> with the package dependencies should be gone.

Wow... no need to re-install :-), just be sure about the steps you're
doing. Whether in doubt, launch aptitude and try from there, it usually
provides insightful information when having to deal with different/mixed
sources.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón