Re: Apt-pinning confusion

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:15:10 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to put the MythTV PVR XBMC version on my Shuttle box. I need
> a newer alsa version than the one from Squeeze because the stable
> version doesn't see the soundcard. So I wanted to install alsa from
> testing.
> And because I use a SSD I thought it would be a good idea to use the
> squeeze-backports kernel.
>
> What do you think it would be better to completely go with testing.

Testing is currently quite stable but there are significant differences
between wheezy and squeeze, like the gnome environment.

> There are two reasons why I didn't want to do this:
>
> First I need to compile the jme module manually to be able to use the
> network interface. So I thought the less changes to the kernel makes me
> less often compile that module again.

My wild guess is that wheezy kernel is not going to change much since now
(3.2.12 is the current one) and IIRC, wheezy will be relased with this
(3.2.x) branch but well... this can change at any time so yes, you will
have to recompile the kernel module for every kernel change.

> Second the XBMC version I want to install needs libboost version 1.47 or
> older.

Any specific reason for you to stick with a specific version of XBMC? :-?

> So I thought I'd go with Stable, the kernel from backports and alsa from
> testing.

Sounds reasonable.

> Unfortunately this doesn't work. I suppose my problem are wrong apt-
> preferences numbers or something like this.
>
> Here's my sources.list: http://pastebin.com/5SQhvDqw And apt
> preferences: http://pastebin.com/VcndLA6C

(tip: when sending a pastebin link, I prefer to use the "raw" mode, it
reads better, i.e.: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=VcndLA6C)

I'm not going to make any comments about pinning because I've never used
but just a question: have you considered in using pinning only for the
packages you want to be kept for a specific flavour? That is, being more
"selective" to avoid additional problems or messing up too many packages.

> And here's the error I get when I try to install linux-headers-686-pae
> from squeeze-backports: http://pastebin.com/RcAPE36t

>  linux-headers-686-pae : Depends: linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae
>  but
> it is not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

Mmm... "linux-headers-686-pae" is a metapackage that has to pull "linux-
headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae" automatically, I would open Sypatic to see
what's going on with this although manually installing "linux-
headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae" in addition to the metacpake should work.

> Yesterday I had the problem with alsa but today witchcraft made the
> problem with alsa disappear but the one with the kernel header and as
> well build-essential appear.
>
> Is this really a problem of the apt pinning numbers? Or what can you
> suggest me to do?
> Maybe stick with the stable kernel and compile alsa from source?

Your first plan seems good, it may just need to be polished a bit :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón