Re: Line wrapping and message retrieval in Icedove.

On 22/03/12 06:33 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 23/03/12 04:57, Peter Easthope wrote:
NOTE: Icedove and Thunderbird are not identical, you don't say which
version you have installed,

A photo here.
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/AboutIcedove.jpg

peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l icedove | grep ice
ii icedove 3.0.11-1+squeeze7 mail/news client with RSS and integrated spam filter support

[There it goes breaking another line!   =8~:| ]

... how you have it configured,

peter@dalton:~/.config$ man icedove | grep conf
peter@dalton:~/.config$

No *.conf mentioned.

... or what
extensions you have installed (it makes a difference).

None that I've installed deliberately.

I use Icedove from Mozilla-backports, but even so it's Version 5 whereas
Thunderbird is at 11. So lots of differences. Additionally you have
plug-ins/extensions to allow for. I have Enigmail installed which
changes a lot of formatting options.

peter@dalton:~/.config$ dpkg -l enigmail
No packages found matching enigmail.

Can the length at which a line is wrapped automatically be adjusted?

AFAIK not "automatically", but I'm unsure of what rules you expect
"automatic" to follow.

You are reading this as "automatically adjusted"?  To be more clear
I might have typed,
"Can the length at which a line is automatically wrapped be adjusted?"

That's not an easy one to find just digging through Icedove. You'll
probably find the Mozilla online documentation no help there. :-(

I'm inclined to set the auto-wrap length to infinity.  Auto-wrapping
is particularly troublesome when it breaks a URI.

The link should still work, perhaps you're copying and pasting a link
instead of clicking on it?

Yes, when composing a message I use the clipboard to insert a URI and Icedove immediately breaks it. =8~:|

Toolbar =>  Edit =>  Preferences
In the Preferences dialog select the "Advanced" tab
In the "Advanced" tab select "General".
Click on the "config editor" button (and promise to be careful)

flow:-
mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support [*1]
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed [*1]

default is false for both

Will have to read about that.

wrap:-
extensions.enigmail.wrapHtmlBeforeSend[*2] - default is true
mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width - default is false
mail.wrap_long_lines - default is true
mailnews.wraplength - default is 72 characters (news)
view_source.wrap_long_lines - default is false

width:-
mail.fixed_width_messages - default is true

Auto-wrapping of received messages isn't troublesome.  It's the
auto-wrapping during composition of an outgoing message I want to stop.
Appears that I should set mail.wrap_long_lines or mail.fixed_width_messages or both to false. Or perhaps just set mailnews.wraplength to 140 or so.

[*1]http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_content_types#Disabling_paragraph_flow

Will read thanks.

[*2]you won't see this if you don't have enigmail

No enigmail here. [But a coder must be possessed to make an HTML text which spews on for miles without a line break.]

Toolbar =>  Edit =>  Account Settings
In the left-pane locate the name of the mail account you wish to set
preferences for. You may have only one mail account.
Beneath the name of the account is an entry called "Server Settings".
Select it.
In the right-pane untick the box marked "Header Only"

Fixed, thanks.

Toolbar =>  Edit =>  Account Settings
In the left-pane locate the name of the mail account you wish to set
preferences for. You may have only one mail account.
Beneath the name of the account is an entry called "Disk Space". Select it.
In the right-pane tick the box marked "Messages Larger than" and ajust
the size to 5 KB

Thanks.

You may find this useful:-
http://en.flossmanuals.net/thunderbird/ch026_keyboard-shortcuts/